xmlns:fb='http://ogp.me/ns/fb# Pomegranate Jones: Turkey and Black Bean Burgers

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Turkey and Black Bean Burgers

I found this burger on the Web and tweaked it a little bit. Ground turkey is very, very bland if it's not seasoned properly. Seasoning is always the key! I know I'm not supposed to say this, but salt is always king. You need it for everything. It's essential in baking.

Why turkey burgers? A long time ago, I would have looked at it and said I'd prefer the real thing. But over the years it's grown on me, thanks to my Dad, who forced it on me. This turkey burger is really good. Invest in a bottle of chipotle mayo.

What You Need


  • 1 15-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (quick cooking oats are fine)
  • 1 green pepper, diced small
  • 1 small onion, diced small
  • 1 medium carrot, shredded
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • Salt and Pepper to taste (Dip a finger into the taco packet to see how salty it is, you may not need salt)


What To Do


  1. In a large bowl, take a potato smasher and smash half of the beans. Add in the ground turkey, oats, green pepper, onion, carrot and taco seasoning. 
  2. Mix well with your hands (FYI, I keep a box of vinyl gloves in my kitchen for times like these. If you have long nails, you definitely want to invest. 
  3. Form as many patties are you can. I can get about eight small patties out of this. Spray a large plate first with cooking spray as the patties are sticky.
  4. Cook a grill or frying pan with a little oil or non-stick cooking spray. Cook 5 minutes on each side until well done. You cannot eat poultry if it is not cooked all the way through. The internal temp should be 165 degrees. 
  5. Serve on a whole-wheat but lettuce, tomato, chipotle mayo and ketchup.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment